Re: (OT)SCA acronym a red flag to ISP???? kinda long.

Poster: "Tanner Lovelace" <lovelace@cs.unc.edu>

Wolf Kestris Rowanwood wrote:

>Greetings! I have a question for anyone who I can actually manage to get
>this to, before my ISP decides it don't like the addy .
>Because of upcoming KWAR, I have subscribed to almost all of the Kingdom
>email lists, in order to get the info out there.
>In doing this, I have found that my Internet service provider is BLOCKING
>messages, either sent FROM me or TO me from the lists. Various messages I
>have sent have bounced back as undeliverable, when I know the address to be
>correct and have been receiving messages from said address.
>Case in point, the Ealdormere list-
>According to the List Owner, I am subscribed. He has no messages being
>returned from the list that SHOULD be coming to me. Yet I have not recieved
>them. My messages are not getting to the list, he says, and I receive them
>back DAYS after I post them.
>I have yet to recieve anything from the following-
>SCA-bead
>SCA-merchants
>SERapier
>The last returned message from Ealdormer said that it was a 'suspicious
>list'. Now I find out that the acronym, 'SCA', is a red flag for ISP's.
>My question is WHY?
>And has anyone else out there had these problems before?
>Is there anything I can do about it?
>
>Thanks for listening, or attempting to.}:)
>-Wolf Kestris Rowanwood
>Stronghold of Raven's Cove
>Atlantia

Some places block e-mail from internet sites because they
have bad (or no) policies about the abuse of internet e-mail
(read: SPAM) or are known to harbour spammers.  If your
ISP is blocking your e-mail based on content (as some people
have suggested), then I urge you to immediately switch
providers and tell your current provider that you switched
because you had originally contracted with them for access
to the *entire* Internet and not just a portion of it.  Any
provider blocking sites without giving you a choice in it
is guilty of content regulation and have opened themselves
up to litigation if someone sees something they don't like.
However, if they act just as a carrier, then they can
make the argument that they only carry the data, but make
no distinction as to what the data is.  (Remember, however,
IANAL!)

As far as I know, the Merry Rose is lucky in that it has
never been blocked by anyone.  If this is not the case,
someone please let me know about it so I can work it out.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Listkeeper, Merry Rose
kendrick@wayfarer.org (or the e-mail below)

--
Tanner Lovelace                  Department of Computer Science
lovelace@cs.unc.edu              UNC-Chapel Hill, CB #3175