Announcing: Universitas (Fwd)

Poster: "Betty Rittmeyer (Bettina von Hasenfeld)" <betty@execpc.com>

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 16:00:30 -0400
From: "Susan Carroll-Clark" <nicolaa@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Mid] Announcing: Universitas

Greetings!

(This is being posted to the Middle, Ealdormere, Known World Laurels, and
Middle Kingdom Laurels lists.  I would appreciate it if it could also be
forwarded to any other appropriate SCA mailing lists, particularly the other
kingdom lists (which I can't post to, as I'm not subscribed to them).

Announcing:  Universitas

For a long time now, it’s been a wish of mine to set up an interkingdom
group for SCA members who are doing or interested in pursuing advanced
research.  More and more SCA members are interested in or doing the kind of
research which brings them into contact with the academic and professional
world.  This group will hopefully be a place where SCA researchers can meet
each other, trade information, ask questions (How do I order microfilms?
What do I need to do research at the V&A?  What do I wear to an academic
conference?) and learn about modern-world opportunities such as conferences,
workshops, and journals.   I hope this will also become a good resource for
those just beginning to do advanced research and feeling a little bit
lost—or wanting to know other people who share their obsessions!

Where did I get this idea?  I’ve just completed graduate school.  Most of
what I’ve just described are things that those in academia learn as a matter
of course as part of their studies.  But I’m also an SCA member, and have
seen many talented researchers spin their wheels for months, even years
because they simply didn’t know who to ask or where to go.  In addition,
many advanced SCA researchers are unaware that the work they’re doing might
hold up well outside the SCA, or even be worthy of publication.  Often, they
’re not sure of how to present themselves to academia or the professional
world.  It’s my belief that if we in the SCA who are interested in or doing
advanced research know each other, we can begin to build the type of support
network which academia and the professional world takes for granted.

Right now, several things are planned:  First, I am collecting names to be
on the contact list for further information.  Second, I am planning an
online quarterly newsletter, which will debut in July, and I would welcome
submissions, queries, and the like. Finally there will be a meeting at
Pennsic (Sunday, August 15, 4 pm, site TBA), designed as a roundtable on
doing advanced research.  All with an interest in this topic are welcome!

Possible future plans could include an electronic mailing list, a webpage of
links to members’ pages, even (at some point in the distant future) a
peer-reviewed journal (that’s “peer” with a small “P” :-) Everything depends
on what folks are interested in and want to do.

Please pass this along to whomever you think might be interested, and feel
free to forward to any appropriate mailing lists.  To get on the list for
future mailings, e-mail me at the address below.

Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton
nicolaa@earthlink.net