RE: babies at Pennsic

Poster: Dominica Harlan <DHarlan@RodgersBuilders.com>

I really do think that any furtherance of this conversation should go on in
private, but I do want to make one final public response to a few points.

I am amused by your statement that, in the future, you won't let your
child's well being impinge on someone else's fun.  I think someone who
knows you should print off that email, save it until you do have kids

[sigh] Why is it assumed that the young or non-parent have no idea what
parents are experiencing? I've already spent the first part of my life
taking care of my parents' four other, much younger children, one of whom
is mentally challenged, and many years working with the mentally retarded,
including taking them out in public. I already know what it's like to try
to help *everyone* in your family/group have fun without causing others to
feel as if you are interfering with their good time. It can be done and I
personally know so or I wouldn't have inferred so in the first place.

... Young or old has got nothing to do with
it; we all want to have fun. The problem is that we all define "fun"
differently...

Exactly. That is why we must be tolerant of others' ideas of fun and make
reasonable preparation for our fun so that it won't impinge on others' fun.
The door is two way for we louder, later birds *and* those with kids or
early schedules.

... that you thought it was an infringement of your rights to have to end a
party so that children could sleep. If that is not what you meant, I am
sorry for the confusion.  If that IS what you meant, I don't understand
your indignation.

Lady, parents who have children should not be camping with them next to
adults in a non-Quiet zone. A big party held in a middle of a field (which
is what Pennsic is) is held there so it won't disturb outside world with
outside schedules -- very many times I've had folk approach a party to be
quiet before midnight. And we weren't in a quiet zone. Yes, I do have the
right to enjoy myself as I please at any time I please. When I'm trying to
sleep off said party in the morning and the early birds are up banging
around I don't ask them to be quieter, nor do I complain about the children
tearing around camp and knocking stuff about.

What I grow tired of hearing is how an event geared towads ADULTS should
cater more to children or to one group of adults with one schedue versus
another group with a different schedule. Children are the responsibility of
the adults they came with and no other, and that includes gearing their
schedule and environment to fulfilling their needs within the noise and
activity of the adults in their area. Adults with differing ideas of fun
and appropriate times to have fun should be adult enough to just tolerate
each other's definition without one group trying to regulate the other.

Your right to have fun at Pennsic or anywhere depends upon whether or
not it interferes with other's rights, and this line is fuzzy, although
laws and rules try to define it.  However fuzzy, those laws and rules
are necessary... Pennsic has been the site of real crime to an increasing
extent, and to ignore that problem is not only to endanger those attending,
but also to risk that we will not be able to hold future Pennsics as it has
been held in the past.
Magdalena

This is a society of honor within a modern world where the concept often
seems dead. Yes, within any given group of 10,000 modern people there will
be a certain percentage of crime. No, making rules to try to restrict when
and how folk will enjoy their vacation will not reduce that crime. In fact,
the more rules there are to break, the more violations you have. As the
increasing rules force war-goers to behave according to someone else's
concept of honor and courtesy, honest/courteous behavior will no longer be
voluntary but mandatory (which any psychologist will tell you takes away
the fun of behaving well). And Pennsic will already be unlike the War it
once was. Getting back to the original point, though, we all have the right
to our fun and the responsibility to ensure that enjoying that right does
not interfere with others' rights. We just apparently have different views
on how that works when kids are involved.

Yours,
Kilmeny