Re: Courtesy and Honor at Pennsic (was Babies)

Poster: Heather Swann <heather@pop.net>

> I was thinking that a good way to turn an unpleasant spat into a
> pleasant, and perhaps usefull, thread is to put out a topic for
> discussion.
>
> What is your definition of courtesy and honor as it should be practiced
> in the SCA?  What are some practical ways that you could exhibit these
> virtues in an SCA setting...say, at Pennsic?
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Magdalena de Hazebrouck

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what one could say in response here, but
I'll give it a shot.  I don't redefine honour or courtesy for practice in
the SCA.  I feel they should both be practiced 24/7 in all aspects of
life.  To 'exhibit' them would strike me as self-agrandizing, so I'm
assuming you mean to ask for examples of courtesy and honour one has
seen.  To acclaim oneself as either seems wrong to me.  One should
certainly strive to attain both however.
One of the best examples I have ever seen of honour and courtesy was given
by a lord of no particular title or name who, when asked by a very young
lady, sat and played with her for an entire event to the gratitude of her
parents, and her delight.

Miri