Re: Garb Question

Poster: Betty Eyer <betty_eyer@yahoo.com>

I have not constructed one, but I have looked longingly at some
artistic renderings.  Late period Flemish/German painting (1440 -
1470?) shows that configuration frequently.  It appears that the skirt
is cartridge pleated into a band and the tight fitting bodice is
sitting over the band.  I suspect that there were hidden lacings or
hook and eyes to keep the bodice and skirt from slipping out of place
and exposing the underdress.

Try The Descent from the Cross by Rogier Van der Weyden.  The lady to
the right of the cross wearing a green dress that kind of fits the
description (although the skirt seems to be gored, rather than
pleated).  I also like the seperate sleeves that are pinned to the
bodice with straight pins and the belt with lots of metal stuff is
happ'nin'.

Magdalena

--- LadyDaria@aol.com wrote:

> Poster: LadyDaria@aol.com
>
> I have seen a dress with a separated bodice and
> skirt
> The bodice is sectioned like a cohardie(sp) and
> comes down to the hipline and
> the skirt is pleetes/gathered to it is very full.
> Any ideas on what this is?
>
> Daria of Stierbach

> http://merryrose.atlantia.sca.org/
>             Submissions:  atlantia@atlantia.sca.org
>         Admin. requests:  majordomo@atlantia.sca.org

===
Magdalena de Hazebrouck
Purpure, a fess fesule argent between three torches or.