Re: Not about P's or R's

Hi Margrete

> So, to start a totally new, uncontroversial subject...
>
> What makes someone (e.g., Dafydd) an Earl?

Earl is the English equivalent to Count.  Earl Dafydd has won Crown list
once, been King once, and has been accorded County rank.  He uses the
title Earl.  His alternate persona is Count Guido, but that's another story.

Graf is the German word, as used by Graf Steffan of Wulfshaven, and Jarl
is the Norse term, as used by Galmr Jarl Ingolfsson.

> I've looked through all the SCA info and FAQ's I have, but can't find
> this.  I can account for: King/Queen, Duke/Duchess, Baron/ess, Prince/ss,
> Viscount/ess, Count/ess, those are easy to figure out.
>
> Lord/Lady, if I understand it, is borne by anyone who has an AOA.
> Master/Mistress is a Laurel holder (or a Pelican?)
> Sir is a Knight--but what's a Lady Knight?

Technically, Dame, but most of them like to be called Sir.  Sir (also
Countess) Fern is our one, imported Lady Knight.

> Also, why is Dafydd referred to as His Excellency?  (Other than the fact
> that he is excellent, I assume...)

Court Barons, Territorial Barons, and those of County rank are refered to
as His/Her Excellency, as are Viscounts (former territorial princes).
Duke and Duchesses are refered to has His/Her Grace.

> And finally:  How do you pronounce Dafydd?

Da (short a) fid.  It's Welsh for David, his mundane name.

> Just some questions from a newbie,

A pleasure to do the service
Leifr Johansson