Re: Atlantian problems..... (fwd)

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, many waters cannot quench love wrote:

> going to get insulted, and someone's going to get ticked, and this list
> is going to become even less fun than it currently is.  I will freely

See, that's exactly the problem that Atlantia has.  I'm not intending to
insult you or anyone else, but you've given a prime example of what's going
on in this
kingdom.  You admit that because of the politics of the kingdom, that you
aren't having fun on the list anymore.  However, you're not willing to
stand up for what the SCA was supposed to be all about.  Having fun.
Instead, you accept it for what it is, and turn your back on the whole
thing.  I say that we stop turning our backs, because it's NOT just on
this list, it's the entire kingdom.  For the most part I've stopped
having fun in this kingdom, but I don't turn my back on it.  I try to
make it fun, especially for new people coming into the SCA.  I know that
eventually we'll get enough people that are tired of being stepped on,
and pushed around, and that remember that the SCA isn't a real life
situation, but a hobby, something which is supposed to be fun.  I must
admit that I am having fun doing things in the SCA, but how am I able to
have fun in a kingdom where the majority of people in position of power
in the SCA
REALLY believe that I am below them.  As people, know one in the SCA is
above any other.  Some have titles which give them rank, but that doesn't
make them a better person than I. I visited the kingdom of Meridies last
year, for an event in Alabama.  There I saw what the SCA is supposed to
be.  I was a complete stranger to their Royal Majesties, but they made an
effort to come over and say hi, and I felt as if I was talking to someone
I'd known for years.  They didn't make me feel as if I wasn't worth their
time, or that they were better than me in some way. I think that the
principalities would provide a better opportunity for some of us peons to get
noticed and
recieve the recognition that is deserved, and maybe put us in positions
where we have a say in the decision making.  If a person is busting their
proverbial butt to make this a better place for all of us, and doesn't
get awarded for it or doesn't feel as if they are valuable to the society,
they're probably not going to stick around for very long.

Again, this is not meant to insult anyone, or put anyone down, but coming
from someone that is comparitively new to the SCA this is the way that I
have been treated, and the way that other people have told me they have
been treated.  And you may want to come back with an argument explaining
how this kingdom works...., but it doesn't matter.  No matter how this
kingdom or any other kingdom works is irrelevent.  The simple fact is
that things that are happening in this kingdom are causing people to lose
interest real fast, because they're not having fun anymore.