A lurker's tale

Greetings to the patrons of the Merry Rose and Countess Ianthe:

I would like to join your fireside circle, having lurked outside for quite
some time. I am new to Atlantia, but I recently heard a tale that I thought
might be appropriate and enjoyable to all. Please forgive my awkward
telling of this eastern fable.

***

A poor farmer and his son lived in a small village in the east. Their prize
possession was a fine horse. One day, the horse lept the fence and ran
away.

"It is so awful!" cried the villagers.

"Is it really?" said the farmer.

The next day the horse returned with a herd of wild horses. The farmer
opened up his gates and all the horses trotted in.

"It is so good!" said the villagers.

"Is it really?" said the farmer.

The next day the farmer's son tried to ride one of the wild horses. He fell
off and broke his leg.

"It is so awful!" said the villagers.

"Is it really?" said the farmer.

The next day an army came to the village looking for soldiers to fight in a
far-off war. They conscripted all the boys of the village. Many of the boys
would never return. But they didn't take the farmer's son because he had a
broken leg.

***

I know the tale is brief, but I thought perhaps the imaginative members of
this circle could add to the tale of the farmer and his son, keeping with
the theme and style of the story.

Perhaps I could have some of this fine ale I hear so much about?

Elayne FitzJames <---SCA name in development
Ponte Alto