Will the Real Author Stand Up

First of all, the very obviously needed apology:

	Your Highness, Prince Cuan, when I wrote "Doggeral" I believed
	that you would place your academic responsibilities before your
	duties to the Kingdom.  I was obviously wrong.  Since Crown Tourney
	you have attended two events, at least one of which your presence has
	been a significant factor in the success of the event (authorizing
	seven fighters, I believe).  I applaud your efforts and apologize
	for suggesting that you would be doing otherwise.

His highness may require of me what additional amends he may wish.

As for some other points made about my song.  Some people have claimed it
was an indication of cowardice.  I don't see that.  I've said as much, in
public, in much the same way, before.  Try reading the third verse of
"Commander Mine" some time, a poem I read before the Crown's court.  There
is nothing more damning in "Doggeral" then in that.  However, because I
wrote the song anonymously (sp), rather then laugh behind your hands, and
try to ignore the implications, you all were free to draw such inferences
as you wished from the song.

And boy did you draw some wild inferences.

Michael Ryan, where do you get the idea that this song questions or
insults Earl Dafydd?

There have been a number of posts that suggest this is slander.
Actually, "Doggeral" is mostly factual, or taken from the subjects' own
words (see Earl Dafydd's post about having to sit in the first round),
and is only occasionally laced with my opinion.  It makes no specific
charges against anyone's honour, even the subject's.  It made a false
suggestion that Prince Cuan would not be seen at events because he is a
law student.  His Highness has proven this wrong.  Other then that, the
song itself still seems accurate, and in fact the two reasons I wrote the
chorus, because His Highness did not provide his address for the Acorn,
and that His Highness did not attend Curia, which was terribly
regrateable, did and do still apply.

However, "Doggeral" is obviously satire, and like all good satire,
implies its message, rather then states it.  If I had signed my name at
first, I maintain that no one would have bothered to draw any inferences
from my work.  Notice the fact that Beonhard has virtually called for
Civil War (re: of Cabbages and Kings) and that Earl Dafydd has openly
questioned the conduct of the King at Crown Tourney (re: Crown Tourney)
and no one has made to draw any inferences from their posts.

But as Earl Dafydd would point out, I am responsible for any fair and
reasoned inference drawn from my work, "Doggeral".  And as Graf Klaus
points out, I should make amends to everyone I've hurt.  However, beyond
the appology and offer I've made to the Crown Prince for the error in
suggesting that he would not be attending events, I'm not aware of any
particular hurt offered to any one.  Michael Ryan has suggested that I've
slandered Earl Dafydd, but that doesn't seem a fair or reasonable
inference.  So I'll have to ask you all to explain just how you feel I've
hurt anyone with this song, before I can make amends.

Finally, Graf Klaus has been bold to threaten certain unstated
reprisals.  To be shunned by a peer whom I've seen in the field at one
war, I believe I can live with.  If the threat is to hunt me out on the
list field or battle field with the intent to do me harm, feel free to
discard your personal honour if you wish.  If you are a authorized
fighter, you might remember that you've been asked if you will abide by
the rules of the list, which specifically forbid such acts.  If you
intend to do me harm in some other way, then remember that would be a crime.

But as for standing up to personal challenges, I think Earl Dafydd can
confirm that I won't whine about the blows.  And we can discuss the
occasion of these challenges.

the author	Leifr Johansson