Re[2]: Family arms, OOP

    Leifr relates another tale of heraldic coincidence (omitted to
    save space), then tells a bit of history of his mundane name:

In fact, the mundane, English arms for Harrop, as borne quarterly by
Hulton-Harrop, the only person who can legally carry it, are:
Per chevon argent and sable, three eagles displayed collared and charged
with a fleu-de-lie, counter-changed.  Which are damn nice arms, even if I
say so myself.

As for Harrop, my study of Anglo-Saxon suggests that it means venerable,
or wisdom of age, or simply grey-haired wisdom.  And hopefully the more I
get of the former, the more I'll have of the latter.

    To Leifr Johansson, from Ianthe, fair greetings.

    As someone who gained her mundane last name courtesy of a
    grandfather's chance meeting with an Ellis Island offical, I am
    always impressed by the stories told by people whose families
    have used a single name over many generations.

    I was born a "Brody".  When my Russian grandfather was
    asked by the Irish official what his name was, he didn't quite
    understand.  He pointed at the group of people he was traveling
    with and said (in Russian), "I'm with those guys from Brud."
    "Brudyah.  Brody.  Next!" sang out the immigration officer.

    Ianthe d'Averoigne              kim.salazar@em.doe.gov
    Kim Brody Salazar