Re: Re[2]: Viking Polearms (Halbards)

Ianthe  wrote in an attemp to divert her intrest in Hal Hams:

>    I seem to dimly recall a magical halberd belonging to Njall (in Njall's
>    saga).  I believe it sounded a clear bell-like tone whenever its bearer
>    was in danger.

In the same saga, the mighty warrior Gunnar used one in the defense of
his house. Slaying the first of a group of warrior attempting to take him
in his sleep.  I have not seen any reference to actual halberds in any
article on viking weapons.  Could this have been a translation error in
the saga? ( I beleive that halberds have been used by the english army as
a badge of rank.  Could the translater have subsituted "Halberd" for some
simple other word for two handed axe?  The warrior slain by Gunnar,
suffered from a belly cut receive wheh he openned the door to look inside
the house to see if Gunnar was at home.  ( he of course died of his
wounds after informing his companions " I don't know if Gunnar is at
home, But his beak is". ( a foot note stated the beak was an idiom for a
halberd)

If any one has any information on whether of not Vikings actually had
Halberds I would also like to know.

Bob Steele / Shinawassee Magnuson rsteele@istlab.com
775 Gateway Drive, SE # 313	  (703) 779-2061 (h)
Leesburg, Va 22075		  (703) 205-2858 (o)