Re: Viking Axes

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Michelle Ringo wrote:

>           My dictionary shows that halberd also spelt halbert but
>           never spelt halbard is a 15th/16th century weapon with an
>           axlike blade and a steel spike mounted on the end of a long
>           shaft.  Are you sure that this is actually a viking weapon
>           at all?   How about the Lochaber ax instead?

Are you sure that this 'halberd' isn't being confused with the Danish
broad axe?  I understand that Lochaber axes are 16th century Scottish
weapons.

>           Finally, I would like to enter a plea to never have to read
>           another Subject Line much less Contents about Henry's
>           Ankles.  It has become silly, trivial and an irritant.

Ditto.

Michael Limner

* "'Cause I'm the god of destruction, that's why!" - Susano Orbatos,Orion *
*                              Michael Surbrook                           *
*     susano@access.digex.net / surbrook@aol.com / Surbrook (AOL only)    *
*            Attacked Mystification Police / AD Police / ESWAT            *
* Society for Creative Anachronism / House ap Gwystl / Company of St.Mark *