Re: Pennsic is a cummin in

Razmus writes innocently on the subject of roof racks:

> And just to add my two florins:
>   Check with your Saturn Dealership... The dealer offers permanently
> installed roof racks for a couple hundred dollars (between 150 and 250
> installed.)  The negative side effect is a permanent milage drop of a
> couple MPG (from wind resistance.)
>   (Anyone want to comment whether dealer installed roof racks are any
> better than any other permanent one?  My Saturn is my first new car,
> and my old one had LOTS of space inside...)

First, a disclaimer; I know nothing of the Saturns and related costs for
accessories. Now, on with the show.

THe Honda roof racks, apart from being prohibitively expensive, offer only
inline racks. That is, two racks that run along the roof parallel to the
length of the car. There are no cross racks. The Thule's I have, apart
from locking against the inside of the door so that the door slams on them
to help secure the, offer cross members that run the width of the car,
extending over the edge of the door somewhat. Consequently, nothing that
I put on the racks ever comes into contact with the roof of the car. This
makes it easier to run ropes or other tie-downs under the load, thus
securing it better.

Here's how I load my racks for Pennsic. First, the futon frame (hey, when
you live in a yurt, you can keep a full size futon and frame in it) goes
upside down on the racks with the floor rails running the length of the
car. Everything else now goes between these rails; door frame for the yurt,
khana wall sections, three bundles of roof poles, two oriental rugs, the
camp table, sundry long things like the spear, the round table I built
that serves functions as both a table and a platform for raising the roof
ring, and the roof ring itself on top. All of this gets lashed securely
(find out from someone who sails how to make a hitch fast without using
a knot) to the racks and covered by the tarp that becomes the floor of
the yurt upon which the rugs are laid, and this is then lashed, further
securing the whole load. I use very long lengths of basic clothes line
rope. Do not get the nylon stuff as it stretches badly.

the only unfortunate side effect of all this is, once the tarp covers
the lot, the car takes on the appearance of that nifty submarine in the
film "Fantastic Voyage", the Proteus. So if, on your way to Pennsic, you
see a black and green Honda submarine with MORITU license plates issued
in MD, it's me. ;-)

In service,
Corun

--
   Corun MacAnndra   | 		The first rule of intelligent tinkering
 Dark Horde by birth | 		      is to save all the pieces.