Re: Communications Decency Act (CDA) and the SCA

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Eric Jon Campbell wrote:

> I know that this may be a can of worms but how concerned should sca
> internet archivists be about "lewd or lascivious" lyrics online in songbooks.
>
> just wondering since the CDA will be signed tomorrow by good ol
> bill <<sarcasm (hint hint)>>
>
> jsut wondering what others of the merry rose might think

As I understand it (based on who the law is worded) _anyhting_ that
violates established standards of decency can be considered grounds for
prosicution for obcenity.  Thus, who ever manages this mailing list will
be liable for it's content, since there is no proof of age required to be
on it.  The basis for 'standards of decency' seems to be drawn from the
most conservitave section of America, thus bawdy son lyrics could count.

I have also read that Clinton has already stated that the goverment will
_not_ prosocute anyone discussing abortion and abortion rights over the
Net, regardless of the rider that was attached to the bill that said
otherwise.

Michael Limner, esq.

* "'Cause I'm the god of destruction, that's why!" - Susano Orbatos,Orion *
*                              Michael Surbrook                           *
*                susano@access.digex.net / surbrook@aol.com               *
*            Attacked Mystification Police / AD Police / ESWAT            *
* Society for Creative Anachronism / House ap Gwystl / Company of St.Mark *