Re: A Modest Proposal - Saxon Violence

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, David Kuijt wrote:

> Greetings to Cheapside!
>
> Here are some thoughts of my own on Beornheard's proposal for a
> Saxon/Viking event.  These are in no particular order.

[mostly snipped out except for:

> Pursuit:
>  	Any way you design this semi-accurately is going to involve
>  	running.  Running in armour ain't a good idea--heatstroke,
>  	exhaustion, lack of fun.
>
>  	I suggest that you make this a "rearguard defense" rather than a
>  	pursuit.  Let the defenders set up where they wish, and the
>  	attackers attack them.  Defenders get exactly one resurrection
>  	each; Attackers get unlimited resurrections.  Run this until
>  	the Defenders are overwhelmed, and decide on your own judgement
>  	who was most successful.  This is sort of a limited frontage
>  	battle, but DON'T make a haybale bridge if you can possibly
>  	avoid it.

Agreed on the undesirability of having a footrace in full armor in the
sunshine.  But the defensive battle can be managed as you suggest.  At
Pennsic XIV (if my count is right) this was managed in the form of a
battle to hold a pass: the defeated side (the Midrealm) from the field
battle supposedly fell back to a position where a natural choke point
gave them a chance to rally and to collect levies which "arrived too late
for the field battle".  The ground, as it happened, sloped to give them
an advantage (this was on what is now the archery field).  The pass
itself was _outlined_ by hay bales -- any who stepped over these fell to
their deaths on the rocks below.  And the defenders had made shift to
throw up a slight barrier (about the size of a string of hay bales)
_across_ their position, so those of us who were pursuing had to climb
over this obstacle while trying not to get whopped by Midrealm fighters.
An interesting tactical problem, though in the upshot the position was
finally broken through by a weighted attack of sword-and-shield infantry
fighters.  (After a considerable period of polearm fencing had
established that refined techniques weren't going to work in the time
allowed.)

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney@access.digex.net)-----------------|