Re: Early Music of Scotland

Matthew Allen Newsome wrote:

> Greetings all.  Now, if you're a Scots bard like me, I know you get tired
> of pouring through the Child collection, and scouring all those Celtic
> folk recordings of yours for songs you can date to pre-1600.  Me too.  So
> that is why I am recommending this recording that I came across.
> ON THE BANKS OF HELICON: EARLY MUSIC OF SCOTLAND
> by the Baltimore Consort.
> 1990 Dorian recordings

Excellent choice, Eogan!  And if ye'd like to see some sheet music for this
CD, look into the Musica Brittanica, volume XV (the whole voolume is Scots
1500-1700 and jam-packed with gems, me lad!)  Many Universities stock the
Musica Brittanica, particularly if they're known for their musical
programs.  The words in the Brittanica are slightly different from those on
the CD - I mix them up meself.  Folk process, my friends!

I wholeheartedly endorse this recommendation, both for musical content
(it's got to make you proud of your countrymen, hm, Eogan?) and for the
documentation.  And I'm Irish, meself.  Whatever I say about the Scots, I
still have to admit, the music is brilliant.  ;)

Lark of Cire Freunlaven