The Virginia Renaissance Faire

Greetings all in the Merry Rose!

I thought I would post a mini-review of this new Faire. I attended (under
threatening skies) on Sunday, May 5th. My other Renfaire experience includes the
Maryland Rennaissance Festival and the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire.

It was VERY easy getting there, and it wan't crowded at all. (Take Rt. 3 East
from 95, follow the signs.) Parking was muddy. It was $14 for adults, unless you
brought the coupon from the Post that gave you one free adult admission for one
paid adult. I believe some stores in the D.C. area offer reduced price tickets
in advance. It was much smaller than the MD Festival, which some might
appreciate. The food was expensive (just like all these things, I suppose), so
eat before you go.

The buildings were sort of Disneyworld History, but charming. There is a man-
made pond in the center of the site with a 2 masted ship. I don't think the ship
is going far.

The shopping was fair (pun intended) but nothing like the merchant's area at
Pennsic. The souvenier t-shirts and mugs and crap were of better quality than
usual. The individual artisans have some nice work, I bought a tiny blown-glass
bottle of essential oil to wear around my neck. Lots of jewelry, not much in the
way of swords.

There also seemed to be a lot of rides for kids, so parents might have a good
time at the faire.

As for the shows: The falconry exhibition was excellent. The falconer allowed
the birds to take flight and then lured them back. I have never seen these birds
of prey in action, it was very impressive. The bit was a little scripted, and I
could have done without the "save the earth" moral at the end of the show. The
jousting was pretty ordinary, and the banter was predictable, but the knights
were into it, so it was fun. One knight, the "evil" one, was the best actor. He
enjoyed himself almost too much. :)  We also saw "The Minstrels of Mayhem," and
they were amusing. Make sure you see the "Beer" song. I was surprised that there
were no silly Shakespeare performances, usually my favorite bit. I think that
there weren't enough wandering players, either. It seems like they were short on
staff.

My only big complaint is that I saw several guys, obviously on-duty employees of
the park, looking like band roadies and not medieval peasants. I mean, how hard
can it be? It takes a lot away from my experience to see a guy on a walkie-
talkie, in black jeans, a t-shirt, and a do-rag, opening the gate for the
jousting knights. I can live with the stretch panne-velvet tights if I have to,
but who are these losers who look like they belong with Van Halen on tour?

I attended in garb, and that brought the usual mundane question: "Where is the
bathroom?"

Josceline de Warenne
victoria@fcw.com