Re: Cordials/liqueurs

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com> wrote:

>My lord, I spoke to you at the Lochmere Lawn Party about recipes for
>cordials and liqueurs.  Perhaps it is that our fair companions would like
>such recipes also, posted here to the Rose.  I myself wish to obtain them
>before my raspberries and blackberries become ripe and are eaten by a
>famished horde of teenagers.  (Horde of famished teenagers?  Or is there a
>difference?)

  I prefer to work with dried fruit, you may wish to purchase one of those
plastic boxes for such. The basic ratio I use is 14 oz dried fruit per 28 oz
original mixing jar. Add fruit, clear liquor to shoulder of jar, .5 cup of
sugar. Let sit and shake 1x week. After 8-10 weeks, pour off liquor and strain
carefully. Combine 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water. Add to mix to double voumne. Let
sit for 8-10 weeks, shaking 1x week. Drinkable after the 2nd 8-10 weeks, often
better as it matures.

>Also, at Pennsic about two years ago I tasted an orange-chocolate liqueur
>that I believe someone said was made by a Lady Elizabeth.  Does anybody know
>the lady or the recipe?

  That may well have been mine, tho, I only recall bringing it to the last
Pennsic. The mixing receipe is as above. Use good vokda (Smirnoff is my
favorite), 2 oz chocolate extract (McCormicks), 1 oz orange extract (McCormicks)
and a dash of vanilla extract. Try using brown sugar instead of white for a fun
variation.
  --Lisa