Re: List explosion

Well, I wasn't going to say anything (not desiring much to add to the
traffic), but since someone has commented that only people who get their
mail at work are complaining, I think I will chime in after all.

I get my email free - at least, free insofar as I am paying a mucking
great load of tuition money to the university for the privilege of being
here.  I have almost unlimited access to computer facilities here, and the
university doesn't care how much email I get or how much time I spend
logged into my account.  That said, let me make it perfectly clear that I
do not enjoy having to wade through 200+ messages a day, especially when
at least 180 of those are by people who quote one or more longish messages
without editing them just so they can add one more piece of virtually
broken crockery to the pile.  I do not have the luxury of a filter or a
kill-file, and I have to delete ALL of it manually.  This can take a long
time in the morning (afternoon and evening, I do check 3 times a day),
when I have better things to do with my time than sit in front of the
SPARC station removing the junk that is clogging up my disk space (which
*is* limited).  I subscribed to this mailing list because I count Atlantia
as my home, and also because international memberships are so expensive, I
am still, by the rules of mailing addresses, a subject of the Atlantian
crown.  I know Locke is OOP, but I still hold strongly to the idea of the
social contract - I have agreed to be a member of this society, and in so
doing, I have agreed to accept certain responsibilities, not least of
which is keeping up with the events in the kingdom.

Before anyone even starts, the answer is yes, I do remember what the Rose
was like before the move to the current site.  I also remember what it was
like before netcom started to be a problem, and while it got boisterous at
times, I was never swamped with mail from the list the way I am now.  If
things do not quiet down, I will be forced to unsubscribe.  This would
grieve me, as the Merry Rose is one of my few ways of keeping in touch
with many of my friends in Atlantia, and my best way of keeping up with
kingdom news.  However, I cannot afford to lose 2 hours of research time
every day just so I can delete all the mail I get from the list.  I have
a life outside the SCA and the Merry Rose, and that takes precedence.

In service,
Lady Alianora Munro