Latest List Crises (Admin's Viewpoint)

Greetings to everyone,

I must admit that I have not read every post that was made in the last
week.  They are all waiting there, but I haven't gotten to them yet.
The ones I have gotten to, though, alarm me a bit.  I agree that the
traffic on the list, especially Thursday, when we posted over 120
messages, and Friday when we posted over 90, is getting to be a bit
much, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.  There are
a few things we can do.  First off, it looks like we're not going
to get a digest right away.  The good people that are hosting our
list have their hands fill with other things at the moment.  I think
we can wait awhile for one, though.  Some other things we could do is
split into several different lists.  We could have a moderated list
that *only* sends out event related information.  We could have a
moderated list that filters out unrelated information like the
state of vowels in Bosnia. :-)  I would very much, though, like to
keep an unmoderated list where whoever wants to can discuss whatever
they want to.  That's the whole purpose of the list - to encourage
discussion between people of the kingdom (and those outside the kingdom
interested in Atlantia).  I realize some people don't want to wade
through 200+ messages, but some may.  As far as other methods that
have been suggested, this is what I personally think:

Newsgroup - Don't like it.  Having a newsgroup, even a modified
one opens you up to spamming and anyone who wander's by.  Also,
newsgroup propagation can still take up to several days.  I
get my newsfeed from California.  I don't want to wait that long to
get information from the list.

Subject headers - If people want to do this themselves, I say more
power to them.  I do not support a mandatory scheme for them.  I think
that more descriptive subject headers offers more than specific categories.

Limiting oneself to X number of messages per day - This is a very good
idea, but once again, I don't think it should be mandatory.  We're all
adults here, we should know how to act.  Think before you send something.
If what you're sending is basically just a "me too" comment, send it
to the person and not the entire list.  Also, PLEASE remember to only
quote what you need to.  ALWAYS erase the quote of the sig that
gets added at the bottom.

I have decided to configure the list to add a "Reply-To:" header to all
messages sent out.  This header will redirect all replys to the list
itself so you don't have to do a group reply or reply to all.  You will
have to remember, though, to look and make sure you know where you
message is going, because it is possible that you might accidentally send
a personal message to the list now.

Also, I just sent out the latest FAQ for the Merry Rose.  You will notice
in section 2, I have included a chapter about List etiquitte written by
Lady Annarra.  I definately think this should be required reading for
everyone who posts to this list.  I'm going to set it up so that it
goes to everyone who subscribes, also.  Please read this before you
post.

Personally, I think the list is much healthier now than it was at Netcom.
We've grown by leaps and bounds and in growing, we're bound to have some
growing pains.  We'll get over it, but we all need to work together.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Listkeeper, Merry Rose
---