Dominus

>   Re Alanna's apparent plea for divine guidance, I suspect
>   she inadvertantly (or with tongue in cheek) mistook Dominus for a
>   given name rather than the approved Latin style for Lord. I
>   have received correspondence addressed to Lord Dominus... I use
>   the style because I like it. :)
>
> So, Herveus...
>
> Would the title equivalent of "Lord" have been used in Latin?  I
> must admit, given the tiny amount of exposure I have to Church
> Latin (mostly, learning to sing various Masses in college choirs, and
> in the Society) I can't help but think of the title Dominus as,
> well, showing aspirations.  (:-)
>
> Lord is one thing, as a title.  Lord in Latin feels quite like
> another: can you teach me something about your thought process?
>
> 	Tibor

Actually, good my lords and ladies, <curtsey>

Dominus is a perfectly acceptable manner for Medieval folks to use in address
toward one involved in the teaching arts.  I have seen it used interchangeably
with Magister.  And since heralds teach or instruct in a de facto sense, with
a very great deal of what they do, I think it is a lovely, Period fashion in
which to address folks!  :-)

Meli ferch Iasper
Cornet at Large