Re: Discuss: Heraldry questions

> So, Herveus...
>
> Would the title equivalent of "Lord" have been used in Latin?  I must admit,
> given the tiny amount of exposure I have to Church Latin (mostly, learning to
> sing various Masses in college choirs, and in the Society) I can't help but
> think of the title Dominus as, well, showing aspirations.  (:-)
>
> Lord is one thing, as a title.  Lord in Latin feels quite like another: can
> you teach me something about your thought process?

I had been interested in my family history before I got into the SCA. As far
as I know, I am related to the Baronet d'Hoghton, whose entry in Burke's
Peerage I have perused. In there, they note one Hervey Walter, or Herveus
Walterii, who was said to have styled himself "Dominus". This Herveus appears
to have lived in the early 12th century or so, settling in Lancashire.

When I recieved an Award of Arms, I noticed that Dominus was officially
sanctioned as a cognate for Lord. Given that bit of ostensibly period practice,
I felt not at all uncomfortable in using it.

yours,
Herveus