Re: MR-Request-music

Poster: Dave Montuori <damont@dakota.widomaker.com>

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Alanna Volchevo Lesa <rjwelenc@pop.erols.com> wrote:

> 3. I sing ["MS&C"] at a bardic circle, to a larger audience.

Effectively a private party, no money involved, cool.

> 4. A friend with an ear for music learns it that way.

Gray area. But even if it is a violation, how could one ever possibly
prosecute it?

> 5. A friend who needs the words  written down asks me for a copy of the
> song, which I hand-deliver to him.

Definitely a violation -- you wrote it down for someone else.

> 6. Another friend asks me for an Email copy which I send to him privately...

This level (and #7-8 too) are why copyright statutes exist in the first
place. Ease of publication requires greater protection of authorship
rights.

Dave Montuori, who is not a lawyer, but is a composer and read up on it.
(Caveat: this was ten or so years ago)
Evan da Collaureo doesn't know what the $#@! Dave's talking about.