Re: INFO: Attn. Brewers and Vintners

Poster: "Sharon Henderson" <sharon@intercon.com>

> Dafydd writes:
> > Upon the noble attempt of one of Corun's Anda to make koumiss
> > by fermenting reconstituted dried mare's milk until the lactic
> > acid kills off the yeast (appropriately inhibited by wood ash), I
> > have only one thing to say.
> > BLECCCCHHHHH!
>
> Well now that you've got the toast down, does that mean you'll be
> coming up to camp for a drink. ;-)
>

> Addendum: In going back over the notes, the other two inhibitors
> were baking soda and a chunk of limestone. I suspect the latter,
> along with the wood ash, would have been more available than baking
> soda to the Mongols.
>
> In service,
> Corun

Uhmn -- I'm afraid I had a similar reaction to his Excellency's, but I did
want to add this, as a deputy A&S person:

Please tell your Anda, Baron Corun, that I applaud most fervently (and
possibly fermently!) his efforts in true recreation of a period -- uhh --
substance!  I might even convince myself to come up and try a TINY little sip
of it, just so I could say I had done so ....

But don't quote me on that!  :-)

Meli the Timid (at least around koumiss ....)