re: Contradict the King? A poet's perspective (long)

Poster: steele@sprynet.com

On Fri, 5 Jul 96, "Kate Spears" <kspears@fdic.gov> wrote:

Greetings to all in this fair Tavern.

  I fear I must also support pay-to-fight and pay-to-play too, but for different
reasons. As many of you know, last fall I drafted a lenghty missive to the BoD
regarding the SCA's tax-exempt status (itself a can of worms). I have been
reassured that the BoD is looking into the matter. The text of the letter is
available on the net, tho. I don't have an URL handy.
  Anyway, one of the suggested alternatives to the 501(c)(3) educational status
is a 501(c)(7) social club status, also federally tax exempt. That would require
a members-only policy at events. Thus, I find myself in support of pay-to-play
because it provides an option if the (c)(3) status ever fails. (Which for the
reasons set forth in my letter (and disagreed with by some of my learned
colleages)) I fear it will).
  --Esclarmonde