Re: Heartache....

Poster: "H L. Falls" <hlf@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU>

> Poster: Rowanwald South <rowanwald@wwisp.com>
>
> <snip...>
>
> MASTER Bran,
>
> Though there may be calabration problems between Atlantian knights and
> others, and yes it is a problem, as you were not at the event this letter
> thus constiutes MUD SLINGING on the list and should have been handled in
> private.  Using the list for this purpose is wrong.  I know that you have
> done good things for the Society and the Kingdom in the past but please
> reevaluate your motives before posting like this again.
>
> So sorry for venting
>
> Eric P Holmes (this does not warrent the honor of my society name Philip
> the Bashful)

   Milord (or Mr. Holmes, if you prefer), may I offer a different
spin on this?  Far too often (IMHO) I have run into this notion
that the problem of the moment should be handled in private.  This
gives the unfortunate impression of a cover-up -- that it is more
important to protect the personages involved than to solve the
problem.
   I do not know Master Bran, and certainly do not know his personal
political slant.  I personally feel that if a significant portion of
another kingdom doesn't want to associate with Atlantia, whether due
to the actions of a small minority or to a more widespread cause, it
is a problem that _should_ be brought to the attention of the entire
kingdom, not covered up to protect a few Very Important Egos.  If,
on the other hand, this turns out to be a few people with an axe to
grind blowing a small problem out of proportion, _then_ I shall most
certainly join you in chastising Master Bran!
   If the charges are in fact unfounded, those publicly accused
deserve to be publicly cleared; and >if< the actions of a few are
truly bringing shame to the Kingdom, then those few should have the
honor to stand publicly responsible for their actions.  In either
case, when the honor of the Kingdom is challanged the entire
Kingdom has the right to know why, and what is being (or not being)
done.
   This is, of course, my own personal opinion.  I have attempted to
phrase it so as to avoid giving offence, if I have failed I offer
my most humble and abject apologies.

   In service--

--Landi Haraldsson, Lord by Grant of Arms from the hand of His Majesty
                    Anton II (for whatever that may be worth!  :-)