Rapier standards (was Re: constructive solutions)

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@netcom.com>

Virgil stated:
> But then again, the Rapier community does not engage in melees (at
> least that I've noticed), much less major field battles where you
> (hopefully) engage many different opponents.

And Lord Michael the Eclectic replied
> Actually, the rapier people do engage in melees, as well as
> one-on-many scenarios like "capture the brigand".
>
> The big advanage the rapier community has is that there is a simple,
> objective standard for the amount of force required.
>
> "A Valid Blow is any thrust with positive force towards the opponent
> in line with the blade or any draw cut using at least 12" (about 1/3)
> of the blade"
>
> In practice, positive force is usually judged by being enough force to
> cause a standard foil blade to bend at least 3" off line.
>
> My knees have forced me to be an inactive rapier fighter for a while
> now, I trust any errors on my part will soon be corrected by active
> participants.

And one steps up to correct a small error. :-)

Positive force is actually jugdged to be able to cause a 2" (not 3")
bend in a standard #5 french foil blade.  Please note, though, that
positive force will cause absolutely no bend at all in a standard
epee blade, which most people use for melees.  The complete rules
for rapier can be found at http://asmith.oash.dhhs.gov/ or in the
Red Tape.

Virgil, what do you base your statement on?  It is true that
some other kingdoms don't engage in melees as much as Atlantia
does.  Atlantia seems to be a leader in the Known Worlde for
rapier melees, but from what I've heard, the other kingdoms
(those that allow rapier) are following suit.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Rapier Marshall, Barony of Storvik
---