Disc: On Being called a rhinohide

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

With some trepidation I write:

On this wonderful discussion about tolerance and intolerance of
misbehaviour, especially as it applies to the art of blow acknowledgement
(for which, read rhinohiding), some good gentles of worthy note have
pointed out the importance of courtesy in questioning another's actions
in this matter.

Or simply put, they said, "you had better be damn careful about calling
someone a rhinohide".

I hope I have not occasioned to cause many people to think me a
rhinohide.  But it did happen once.  Worse, it happened in a Crown
tourney.  Worst, it happened against a Lady (please do not use your
deductive powers to try to identify this individual, I'm sure she is as
unpleased to remember the occassion as I am to recount it).

Anyway, we fought sword and board and she got a few tinks in before I
killed her.  I went to her immediately afterward and told her that the
blows she had landed I thought were light.  I can not recall the exact
words of her reply, but the substance seemed at the time to be "Well, if
that's the way you want to play the game :-( ".  At which point she
stormed out of the list.

To say the least, this cut me to the quick.  It pains me little less now
to recall it then it did at the time to hear it.  When I had finished
with the tourney I thought it best to try to resolve it.

That day I carried three favors.  One was for the consort I fought for
that day, one for a pervious Crown consort, and one for a neighboring
barony, whose baroness was in attendance.  I gathered these three ladies
together and told them of my dismay, and that I intended to give their
favors over to the lady I had fought, asking her to go to them and direct
them to guide me in some penances, that I might win back the honour they
had lost through my actions in abusing their favor.  This plan they all
agreed to accept.

Thus I carried these favors to Lady, and my pain drove me to my knees
before her.  I apologized for my deeds against her, begged her to take
the favors from me, and demand from their owners some penance on me
before she should return them.  Her eyes filled with tears, as mine are
now, and she would not take the favors.  She said her words were hasty,
and she did not mean to wound with them.  She accepted my apology, and
forgave me all, and bid me think no more upon it.

Of course I do think upon it occasionally, especially when people speak
about the discourtesy of accusing someone of rhinohiding.  But I think it
better courtesy to speak your mind, and resolve these problems, no matter
how painful, rather then to let such matters fester.

In Service
Leifr Johansson