Re: Disc: What is a knight?

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

Mistress Deirdre writes:
  Lord Leifr challenges me to name those knights I hold as exemplars
  of chivalry.  Much as I might wish to give praise, yet I will decline
  to do so in this forum.  There are many worthy knights in Atlantia
  and elsewhere who are unknown to me.  I will not offer them any
  insult by failing to name them.

Miriam Rachael
  Perhaps the most gracious way to name knights as exemplars would be to point
  out particular qualities, and then give examples of instances in which
  particular knights have demonstrated them.  Thus, it is merely an illustrative
  exercise, generally helpful without being considered hurtful or exclusionary.

I'm confused.  How is praising someone somehow blameworthy?  Has courtesy
become so Machiavellian that we dare not speak well of people?  If true, how
sad...

	Tibor (I'm glad to praise the good...)