Re: your mail

Poster: "Eric Jon Campbell" <ejcampbe@eos.ncsu.edu>

> >> Craig Shirgold is a 7 year old boy who lives in Keen, N.H. He is dying
> >> from an inoperable brain tumor.
> >
> >NO!!O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> >This is urban legend. He got better. Please stop spreading this.
> >
> genuine, I'll expect YOU to guarantee 10 cards, okay?

I don't think that will be a big worry about him sending ten cards.
-Xavier

I found this at
http://bcn.boulder.co.us/help/Roadmap/msg12.html

but then there is
CRAIG SHERGOLD FAQ Version 0.1beta
http://www.legends.org.za/arthur/craig01b.htm

there is even
THE BRAIN-TUMOR BOY, THE MODEM TAX AND THE CHAIN LETTER
http://www.jyu.fi/~kallio/atk/verkko/BDGI/4.4.txt

URBAN LEGENDS (ULs):

Another example of spamming on a much smaller scale, at least in my
mind, are the urban legends that simply refuse to die. There is no
better example of an urban legend than the story surrounding Craig
Shergold.

"There once was a seven-year-old boy named Craig Shergold who was
diagnosed with a seemingly incurable brain tumor. As he lay dying,
he wished only to have friends send him postcards. The local newspapers
got a hold of the tear-jerking story. Soon, the boy's wish had changed:
he now wanted to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for the
largest postcard collection. Word spread around the world. People by
the millions sent him postcards.

Miraculously, the boy lived. An American billionaire even flew him
to the U.S. for surgery to remove what remained of the tumor. And
his wish succeeded beyond his wildest dreams -- he made the Guinness
Book of world records.

But with Craig now well into his teens, his dream has turned into
a nightmare for the post office in the small town outside London
where he lives. Like Craig himself, his request for cards just
refuses to die, inundating the post office with millions of cards
every year. Just when it seems like the flow is slowing, along
comes somebody else who starts up a whole new slew of requests
for people to send Craig post cards (or greeting cards or business
cards -- Craig letters have truly taken on a life of their own
and begun to mutate). Even Dear Abby has been powerless to make
it stop." (2)

The current variation on the Craig story that is floating around
the Internet is that you should send your cards to the Make A Wish
foundation in Atlanta, Georgia.

--
There can be only juan!
                         <100% columbian coffee>