Re: Nimitz mythos

Poster: Scott Law <law@sirocco.mitre.org>

Sean's and my previous comments with lots of snipping:
>> If a myth is to be told, it should have
>> some consistency to the tale.

>Actually, but exactly because myths are handed down from the hoary mists
>they are inconsistent.

>> In fact the myths in question are Atlantian based and stem from when the Nimitz
>> was based in Norfolk, VA.  I am unsure as to how old the Nimitz is any more,
>> but she wasn't that old when I boarded her for the first time, so the myth was
>> still fresh, inconstant, but fresh.

> Sure, if you just read Edith Hamilton's Mythology, she only tells you a nice
> simple story.  But look at LaRouse and you'll see that the Norse myths had two
> major version (one Scandinavian and the other, um, Teutonic).  This isn't
> including all the minor variations from one end of the country to the next.
> [This is all from
> memory, so details may vary, but I think this is generally true.]

>> All of this is true and spread out over several centuries, I expect.

  I think my point was missed.  Regardless of the amount of time, if you are
calling it a myth, it seems reasonable for it to have inconsistencies.  And
as you pointed out, it doesn't take them long to creep in, most because it's
being handed down orally.

                            -Virgil