Re: Query re: A&S/heraldry comp at Point

Poster: Michael and MJ Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

> Poster: petersr@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)
>
> As a complete non-herald, and one who has, on occasion, displayed
> unregistered arms, is it not better to set aside a "rule" and "property
> right" model in favor of an argument -- a =polite= argument based on manners
> and courtesy?
>
> At Pennsic, I displayed unregistered arms on a large banner inside my camp.
>  A very striking banner, if I must say so.  Why?  Because my six-year-old
> daughter really really wanted a banner, really wants to play "medieval,"
> and, in the manner of six year olds, knew exactly what she wanted on it to
> make the whole War really special for her.  And why not register it?
>  Because in another year, she'll want something completely different.
>
> If someone had passed by and recognized it as his or her own arms, and
> approached me =politely= on the subject, I'd've probably begged their
> indulgence to let her fly it for the War, and then we'd have made a big
> parade down the street at the end of War to donate it to the person
> involved.  If they'd come at me rudely, I'd've said "make me" and we'd've
> escalated from there.  But to me (as a person who has her own arms
> registered) this feels more like a fight over manners than a fight over
> property rights.

I applaud this attitude and approach. This clearly falls within the bounds
as I described them in my lengthy missive posted a bit earlier.

The issue of displaying arms registered to another is an issue of property
rights. How one pursues the grievance generated thereby is an issue of
manners.

yours,
Herveus