Re: Query re: A&S/heraldry comp at Point

Poster: petersr@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)

As a complete non-herald, and one who has, on occasion, displayed
unregistered arms, is it not better to set aside a "rule" and "property
right" model in favor of an argument -- a =polite= argument based on manners
and courtesy?

At Pennsic, I displayed unregistered arms on a large banner inside my camp.
 A very striking banner, if I must say so.  Why?  Because my six-year-old
daughter really really wanted a banner, really wants to play "medieval,"
and, in the manner of six year olds, knew exactly what she wanted on it to
make the whole War really special for her.  And why not register it?
 Because in another year, she'll want something completely different.

If someone had passed by and recognized it as his or her own arms, and
approached me =politely= on the subject, I'd've probably begged their
indulgence to let her fly it for the War, and then we'd have made a big
parade down the street at the end of War to donate it to the person
involved.  If they'd come at me rudely, I'd've said "make me" and we'd've
escalated from there.  But to me (as a person who has her own arms
registered) this feels more like a fight over manners than a fight over
property rights.