Re: Heraldic Side Note

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

  I don't mean to sound harsh, and I understand the difficulties of setting up
  a conflict checking system Society-wide with volunteer labor (no matter how
  dedicated, and the dedication of the Society's heralds is unquestionable)
  and expecting it to work fast, so maybe some of this is unavoidable.  But
  Tibor's idea of going a little easy on folks in the hope of encouraging
  interest in (even imperfect) heraldic display is a good one, and the idea
  that the only permissible use of armory requires registered armory is really
  cutting down on the possibility of heraldic display.  If the price of more
  display is that one occasionally ends up "donating" tabards, etc. to their
  "rightful owner" (if you accept that there are property rights here), maybe
  that's not so bad.

And, a good herald can give you a pretty good idea of how likely your arms are
to pass, long before they are submitted.  It's just a probability, but it's
worth something.

Thanks for the support.  I am a firm believer that the heraldic parts of
period, and the stuff that heralds did, are some of the more accessible, and
fun parts of what we do.  I try to encourage everyone to do heraldic things.
If for no other reason, than if everyone else is doing my job, I can be a lazy
man and drink my friends beer, instead of working. (:-)

So, who wants to borrow my crossed-trumpets tabard next?

	Tibor (Golden Gryphon Pursuivant to Carolingia, East Kingdom)