MR-Disc: Instant Correct Heraldry for Newbies

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

Rise J. Peters quotes
> What Tibor said (and three cheers):
>
> "I'd encourage you to create heraldry in the mean time, and get used to it.
> Ask a herald or two (via email if necessary) for help.  Given fields barren
> of
> heraldry, or fields with slightly poor heraldry upon them, give me the
> ambience of flags waving in the breeze any day."

Then goes on to make a very valid observation,
[...] In the Society in general, if you want something, the quality of
> what you get, and how fast you get it, depends on how much work you're
> willing to put in and at what level of intensity.[...] You can bear down
> hard and learn almost any skill well enough to get, at a minimum, a fun
> experience and a usable product within a time frame that qualifies as, not
> instant, but certainly relatively fast gratification -- fast enough to keep
> you excited and willing to go on working hard to get more good stuff, to
> improve or expand your skills, etc.
>
> Contrast that with heraldry:  [...]
>                 I'd love to have banners and tabards and spiff heraldic
> stuff.  [...] and wait for =months= while the bureaucracy grinds.  And in the
> meantime, I have absolutely nothing to show for my work, and no matter how
> excited I =was= about the possibility of elaborate heraldic display, all I
> can do is wait.

I propose the following solution:

The College of Arms devises, an assortment of heraldicly
correct, attractive-looking badges for some new households.
I think seven would be a good number.  To join any one of
these houses, a gentle need only be interested in making
and/or displaying appropriate heraldic displays featuring
the household armory.  The newby would know instantly what
device to sew on a tabard, pavilion, or whatever.  Later
on, said newby decides to register her own device, she
could still remain in the household and continue to display
the items she worked on before, and/or give them to a newer
member of the household who wants to display the heraldry
but is not yet ready to make items.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia