Re: More heraldry questions

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

  I would like to know, O Learned Heralds, whether it is proper for a
  Territorial Baron and Baroness to display their personal arms along
  with the Baronial ones. My assumption would be that the personal arms
  would be smaller in size than the Baronial arms to denote the higher
  rank of the Territory over the Person.

Greetings from Tibor, your Excellency!

In period, the arms that are your property, and the arms that are associated
with your barony would both be yours.  You might choose to emphasize one over
the other, as appropriate, to make a point at various times.  (Just as Edmond
wore the arms of the East and Middle quarterly during his pre-Pennsic
challenges and at various times at Pennsic.)

In the Society, there are no formal rules in this regard, and I think that
following period practice might be well suited.  So long as you understand
that some day you can't wear those Baronial arms any more, without leave from a
new Baron and Baroness.

There are a lot of rules about how to combine arms into a single appearance, in
order to prohibit the appearance of unearned honors.  But in this case, no
unearned honors are claimed.

  As an example, let us say that Her Excellency Brenna and I process
  into Pointless War with a retinue of our Officers and Retainers (those
  formerly known as the Thugs of Storvik). Directly behind us we could
  have a Lieutenant carrying a Lieutenant bearing the arms of Storvik,
  followed by two Ancients carrying Ancients bearing the personal arms
  of Brenna and myself. Her Excellency and I could be wearing surcoats
  bearing the Baronial arms in full, while the retainers could all be
  wearing surcoats bearing the Badge of Storvik. Behind the Ancients
  could come some several Ensigns, each bearing a representaton of the
  badges that denote our various Baronial Orders.

This sounds ideal.  You might consider, since it is a war, creating a Standard
with (from the fly outward) the arms of Atlantia, Storvik, yourselves, your
badges, a baronial motto, and elements of the arms of the Orders of Storvik, in
addition to everything else.  And, of course, your Thugs might choose to wear
your livery colors, either in garb or in tabards.

Add some music, and a herald, and you couldn't do better (as far as I can
think).

You could hack around with that battle standard, and the design of the
compartments, if you chose.  I picked stuff off the top of my head.

  Wherein, Good Heralds, have I deviated from proper heraldic usage and
  display, both according to mundane practices and what is allowed in
  the SCA (knowing from the previous discussions that the two diverge
  in practice). Also, to add some more spice to this pottage, where
  might any of this conflict with any sumptuary laws in Atlantia.

Does Atlantia have sumptuary laws?  I didn't think it did.  Does it?

	Tibor