Re: More heraldry questions

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> As an example, let us say that Her Excellency Brenna and I process
> into Pointless War with a retinue of our Officers and Retainers (those
> formerly known as the Thugs of Storvik). Directly behind us we could
> have a Lieutenant carrying a Lieutenant bearing the arms of Storvik,
> followed by two Ancients carrying Ancients bearing the personal arms
> of Brenna and myself.

My understanding of mundane heraldry is that Ancients (aka Standards)
never have personal arms on them.  Your standards (I think) would have
the badge of Atlantia in the hoist, while the fly would be divided
lengthwise with your livery colors (which are not necessarily the colors
of your arms) strewn with your personal badges (possibly repeated)
mixed with the badges of your vassals.  There might be a ribbon (snaking
its way though the fly like stripes on a barber pole) bearing your
motto.

I don't know who who hold your personal arms.  In the Period, there
wasn't as big a distinction between personal arms and territorial
arms.

>                      Her Excellency and I could be wearing surcoats
> bearing the Baronial arms in full, while the retainers could all be
> wearing surcoats bearing the Badge of Storvik. Behind the Ancients
> could come some several Ensigns, each bearing a representaton of the
> badges that denote our various Baronial Orders.

Please don't pass up the opportunity for ceremony in
appointing the various flag-bearers.  Perhaps the offices
counld be earned (like the Antiri Sergeants & Yoemen).

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com