Re: S.C.A. Moral Attraciveness

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

How?   By displaying the attitude you have in your letter.  By realizing
that things are not the way they should be, as you have done.  By talking
wiht people about it, as you are doing.  If enough people look around and
say "Hey!  Wait a minute!" then changes will happen.  The society has
changed.  It will keep changing.  Our attitudes, and how we display them
will affect how it changes.  One example....  at a recent event there
were a group of people who wore Gothic (and I don't mean Visigoth)
clothes, played very loud, VERY modern music from their cabin, and pretty
much didn't even try to play our game.  I was annoyed, but I didn't want
to cause a scene, because a "scene" would annoy me just as greatly.  I
chose not to be around them, and to play my game and have fun.  And I
did.  If enough people choose not to be around them, then maybe those
particular people will stop thinking SCA events are so cool and not
participate (or they will try and play our game with us, and adopt our
ways).  I'm not talking about mindless conformity, just abiding by the
few rules we have that bind us together.  The same goes for theives,
Vampires, Dead-heads, and the like.  Regardless of what happens, I will
play my game and have fun, and I'll try and drag as many people with me
as I can.
IT'S ONLY A GAME
(I find myself saying that alot lately..)
Oh, and "Hi" Niall!
Aye,
Eogan