Re: Acorn on the Web

Poster: John Strauss <jstrauss@gmu.edu>

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> Rabah, to you I say thank you for your efforts.

I agree. Rabah is doing a bang-up job. And I am certain that his motives
for warranting webmasters are the very best.

But the fact is that Rabah will not always be the chronicler. If he
institutionalizes "warrants", then he paves the way, down the road, for
some other chronicler (and not ALL atlantian kingdom chroniclers have
been of Rabah's quality) to require webmasters to attend Unevent, to have
to file reports, and to have to turn over their "office" every 2 to 4 years.

Watch closely: if Rabah, out of good intention, hands out warrants, then
a couple of chroniclers from now, those warrants will be required if you
want to have a group web page and some chronicler will "fire" or "fail to
renew" a webmaster for failing to file a report.

If you want to thank webmasters, say "Thank you" and leave it at that. If
you want to post urls in the Acorn, help yourself. It's harmless. But,
frankly, it makes more sense to just post _one_ url for the kingdom and
have links from that page to everywhere else.

|      John Strauss             |      aka Henry Best          |
|      jstrauss@gmu.edu         |      henry@poboxes.com       |
| "People don't quit playing because they grow old. They grow  |
|  old because they quit playing."     -Oliver Wendell Holmes  |