Re: Jobs and Cookies

Poster: blackbow@juno.com (David H Ritterskamp)

From: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.UMD.EDU>
To: atlantia@csc.ncsu.edu
Subject: Re: Jobs and Cookies
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:47:51 -0400 (EDT)

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

There is a lot of (mis)information propagated about how awardcookies
are given out.  This is an interesting new formulation of such
misinformation.

I've heard a similar idea expressed in fighting as "if you aren't a
squire,
you won't ever be knighted", which is also incorrect.  I've heard the
same thing about apprentices/Laurels, about teaching in University, about
fighting in wars/Knighting, about autocratting Kingdom events/Pelicans,
about being a Kingdom Officer/Pelicans, and so on.

There have been made Knights who were never squires; there have been
many Laurels who were never apprentices or taught at University,
there have been made Pelicans who never ran Kingdom events, and
likewise Pelicans who were never Kingdom Officers.  All of these
things are _considered_; many of them are _important_; none of them
are _required_ or a guarantee of cookie reward.

One thing I can tell you is that nobody has ever been Knighted in this
kingdom who did not fight; nobody has been Laureled who had no Art;
and nobody has been given a Pelican who never served their Kingdom.

But there is no direct correspondence between warrants and reward of
service through cookies.  Some jobs have warrants and are _not_ weighted
heavily for reward; some jobs have no warrants and _are_ weighted
heavily.

[I find myself in a peculiar position on this one;  while it is true that
there are Peers (chivalry, laurel, etc.) that were made that were not
squired/apprenticed/etc., they're pretty few and far between, ESPECIALLY
in the heavy combat arena.

So I guess that while it isn't letter-of-the-law necessary to be squired,
etc, in order to become a peer, it certainly (prevailing attitude) seems
that if you aren't apprenticed/squired, you're either a nobody
politically, in which case you're going to linger a lot longer as a
non-peer than you ordinarily would, or you'd better be God Incarnate at
whatever you do, or else you'll always be a non-peer.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but it certainly seems to be the
status quo.  On the other hand, it seems that such a system as is
currently in place does have the effect of providing stability in the
upper echelons, where it's usually sorely needed.  As long as that
stability doesn't warp into stagnancy, anyway.

One other point on cookies and warrants, as applies to the Web:
There doesn't seem to me to be much to worry about in warranting Web
stuff OR making it official simply because the overwhelming percentage of
the populace DOESN'T have access, and would quite likely (I know *I*
would) grow annoyed at having official things happening that they
couldn't partake of.

Moving right along, and d**n glad to be able to shove his nose back into
it,

Ld. Jonathan Blackbow