Stability in the Upper Echelons

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Aurora wrote, in part:

A> I have noticed that certain cookies don't seem to be given out
A> unless the work you've done is [...] the warranted jobs.

Earl Sir Dafydd ap Gwystl countered that there were counterexamples
to this assertion, and, for example, among Pelicans:

D> Although service as a Kingdom Officer (all warranted) weighs heavy,
D> that is only because it is service to the whole Kingdom--running Kingdom
D> level events is also more heavily weighed than local events.

Ld. Jonathan Blackbow made a reply to the effect that a Glass Ceiling
might exist even if there are some holes in it, then goes on to say:

> I don't necessarily agree with this, but it certainly seems to be the
> status quo.  On the other hand, it seems that such a system as is
> currently in place does have the effect of providing stability in the
> upper echelons, where it's usually sorely needed.  As long as that
> stability doesn't warp into stagnancy, anyway.

If the current system does provide stability, how do you know it's needed?
Was there a time (before the current system was in place) that the upper
echelons were unstable?  If so, what was that like?

-- Alfredo
Rotae Fortunae circumvectus