Re: Jobs and Cookies and Facts and Perceptions

Poster: "N.C. Honeycutt" <lagheless@coastalnet.com>

-- [ From: N.C. Honeycutt * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> Subject: Re: Jobs and Cookies and Facts and Perceptions
>
> Poster: Neil Maclay <nmaclay@btg.com>
>
> Greetings:
>
> A few years ago, much to my surprise, I was made a Pelican.
> This was not a goal that I sought, but it was very flattering
> to be thought worthy of it. The real goal of my activity
> in the SCA was to enjoy myself and have fun with my friends.
> Pursuit of those goals has given me great pleasure over the
> years and the things that I do are much more important to me
> than any awards granted. I think that if one does what one
> loves to do, and does not worry about whether someone influential
> is watching, awards will probably come. The most important
> award will be one's personal satisfaction with one's life in
> the SCA.
(message deleted for brevity)

> Malcolm
> Master Malcolm MacMalcolm, Marshal ( just say MMMMM... )

I completely agree with the first part of your message.  I know personally
what I do; I do because I want to.
I LIKE making events fun for my friends, they enjoy making things fun for me
.  It's cooperative entertainment.
If you are doing something just for an award, you aren't doing it from the
heart and if it doesn't come from there, it isn't going to be done as well
as it should be.
It seems to me that once you think you've done enough to deserve an award
that should be the end of it on an emotional level....
milord Snoodlebutt knows he's worked hard, he knows he's done a good job.
His friends know.  He has the personal satisfaction of that. NOW...It's up
to the people around him, who know and love him to make sure that he gets
the cookies he deserves. (hey maybe even some milk if he's been especially
spiff)
What we don't need are Peers watching everyone.  Personally, that would make
me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.  What we do need is
more people to write the occasional letter about each Snoodlebutts good
works.
Think about it....if everyone out there, secretly wondering why they haven't
gotten a cookie, wrote a letter for someone else; Well they might not get
the cookie, but they'll feel better about themselves.

That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it!

wondering where all the music,sex,
and cookies in my life have gone:

Cheerio,
Emma Lawles