Re: Jobs and Cookies and Facts and Perceptions

Poster: blackbow@juno.com (David H Ritterskamp)

>It seems to me that once you think you've done enough to deserve an
>award
>that should be the end of it on an emotional level....
>milord Snoodlebutt knows he's worked hard, he knows he's done a good
>job.
>His friends know.  He has the personal satisfaction of that.
>NOW...It's up
>to the people around him, who know and love him to make sure that he
>gets
>the cookies he deserves.

[But I wonder, how does he *know*?  If Person A KNOWS something to be
true and Everybody Else knows it isn't, whose viewpoint is valid?  The
majority?]
Maybe that's what a cookie is for...something along the lines of "we know
that you know you deserve this; now we're letting you know we know."

Did anybody else follow that?  Sounds like a line out of "The Lion in
Winter..."

>What we don't need are Peers watching everyone.  Personally, that
>would make
>me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
[Why, then, aren't you watching your tail in sheer paranoia?  For
assuredly, Peers watch everyone that they consider worth watching. ]

 What we do
>need is
>more people to write the occasional letter about each Snoodlebutts
>good
>works.
>Think about it....if everyone out there, secretly wondering why they
>haven't
>gotten a cookie, wrote a letter for someone else; Well they might not
>get
>the cookie, but they'll feel better about themselves.
>
>That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it!

[I have wondered before why I don't write letters such as you describe,
and I think the simple answer is that there aren't any people out there
that would seriously listen to much I had to say, based on previous
experiences.  I firmly believe that any support I were to offer would end
up doing more harm than good, in the vein of "Well, if HE thinks this
person is worth awarding, they MUST be scum!"

It's going to take awhile to get out of that mindset.  But it is
happening.

Moving right along,

Ld. JB