Re: Stability in the Upper Echelons

Poster: blackbow@juno.com (David H Ritterskamp)

>Your statement is very interesting; exactly what counter-establishment
>are you referring to by the "anybody else" above?

Well, by definition, if there's an establishment, then there must be a
counter-establishment.  In this case, there's no specific person or
group; just a complaint I've heard as to why this barony or that used to
have a good core fighting corps and doesn't any more...

>Ah, so we shouldn't knight a worthy candidate because that will REMOVE
>leadership from a group?  That is laughable!  In most groups the
>knights
>are among the leaders in armoured combat (strangely enough).
Don't jump to conclusions, D....what I'm getting at is that when somebody
who wasn't a squire gets squired, that person suddenly doesn't have
anywhere near the amount of time, effort, etc available for his/her local
group, having instead to spend it with Knight and household.  I'm not
saying this is a deliberate, malicious action, but it IS an unfortunate
side effect.

>Jonathan, I've been trying to speak openly about subjects (peerage,
>how we look at candidates, etc.) where there is a lot of
>misinformation
>and disinformation.  If you want to start a new thread on whether
>Peerage Households do or do not support Local Groups (which is what
>I am guessing your allusion above refers to), please bring the subject
>up openly and cleanly.  It is very hard to discern exactly what you
>are asking when you bring up topics in this sidelong fashion.
>
>In service of honest discussion,
>
>Dafydd etc.
New subject?  Not really.  It's all intertwined.  But I would point out
that sidelong discussion of a topic is usually what *starts* another
thread.  I'm not terribly concerned with whether I get to start a thread
or not; I AM interested in bringing people's attention to facets of a
discussion that they otherwise might not consider, as you yourself have
unintentionally (or intentionally!) done before.  No specific instances,
that's just the way discussions like this seem to go.

More as it develops,

Ld. J. Blackbow