Re: Stability in the Upper Echelons

Poster: polearmed <polearmed@worldnet.att.net>

Asalaam alai qum!!

David H Ritterskamp wrote:

> Poster: blackbow@juno.com (David H Ritterskamp)
>
> Sorry to intrude on a discussion of Warrants and Cookies when what I slid
> off subject onto was really Peers Without Precedents.  Strangely enough,
> they're related.  I think that H.E. Ct. Daffyth brought up quite a valid
> assumption; namely, that the Establishment (Knights, peers, whatever)
> tends to suck up the best potential Peers, leaving not very much for
> anybody else.  One wonders if this is the best course of action (since it
> has been amply demonstrated that this (in the case of heavy fighting,
> anyway) tends to strip the local Baronies of most of their decent
> potential leadership; but that's another story.
>
> Moving right along,
>
> Ld. JB

Not necessarily so, Lord Blackbow.  While I have to agree that the assumption is valid,
its application and results are very subjective.  I can speak for myself and say that,
although I wear Syr Tancred's belt, I am very active on the local level and just myself
moved into a leadership role.  I fight with Windmasters' Hill when my knight is not
there to lead me.  Does that mean I am not involved any more at the local level?
Absolutely not.  My canton is hosting a practice for our barony that I am sure I will
have much to do with.  I work with those who need it locally, I help people get their
armor together, etc., etc., all that stick-jock stuff.  My knight thinks that is great
and grand and commendable in a big way.

My point: the involvement on the local level will be up to the peer that is supporting
an individual.  I asked Syr Tancred's permission to take the role in Elvegast and he was
supportive and encouraging, even if it means that my household will occasionally see a
little less of me because of the responsibility.  It's also a way for him to support the
kingdom at large.  In light of your observation, that I wholeheartedly agree with in
principle, I would question, in a knight's case, if they were building their own little
army or supporting a man in a quest for knighthood.  Two very different things with two
very different motivations and, IMHO, the picture of a true peer.(i.e.
self-aggrandizement vs. selfless commitment)

BTW, any and all are welcome to attend the Barony of Windmaster's Hill
kill-em-all-dead-twice-again-warrior-workout(read fighter practice) on Sunday, 10/27 @
1:00PM at Carolina Pines Park in Raleigh.  Email me for directions.

Wasalaam!!

Falcone