RE: Jobs and Cookies and Facts and Perceptions

Poster: "Barclay, Peter" <BarclayP@lee-dns1.army.mil>

Greetings to the Merry Rose from Master Terafan,

Aurora writes:

>>> It results in the general perception that you are at a disadvantage
>>>if you try to achieve a Peerage
>without a sponsor or without one of the flags that bring you to the
>attention of the Order, (harking back to the origin of this discussion)
>such as performing well in a recognized job (I still contend that in
>the SCA these are _usually_ warranted).

Good lady,

As Earl Dafydd and Mistress Dierdre have pointed out, I shall again
point out in myself.  Being the newest (at least I still think so)
member of the Order of the Laurel, I have NEVER been apprenticed OR
squired OR proteged.  While it is true that I have taught at numerous
Universities, and have been a deputy kingdom seneschal for several
years, I do these things because I ENJOY them, not because I thought I
would get a cookie.      I am dedicated to the belief that the gospel of
brewing should be spread through the width and breadth of the land, and
if I could get saltwater to ferment, I would brew something out of the
ocean. (Boy, wouldn't THAT spread the gospel....)  If I could make it
rain beer, I would be extremely happy.  Earl Dafydd might not enjoy it,
but I certainly would.    I would certainly like to tell you that when
Galmr and Katerina came to put me on vigil, I had to pick my jaw off the
floor, because I figured that it would be several more years before I
had learned enough and become skilled enough in my art to be considered
for a peerage.

I have also autocratted some Kingdom events, and am planning to do more,
but only because I enjoy it when I AM THE PERSON IN CHARGE!   It is just
part of my nature to do that.  I like that kind of situation in my
modern life, and that stretches into my SCA life.   While I don't mind
putting on my scullery tabard and washing dishes, I get  more personal
satisfaction when I know all the answers and people come to me for them.
  :-)
 {I just wish I knew ALL the answers, instead of all the answers for a
particular day or two...}

Jonathon Blackbow writes:

>>[It isn't the ladder of awards per se, but as per what Heather Swann
(sorry, milady, I missed your Society name) said, it narks people off
when they bust their a**es and get no recognition whatsoever for it,
for whatever reason is prevalent at the time, while other, lesser
lights (or at least what must _seem_ to the person like lesser lights)
are given recognition.  This leads to Bad Feelings.]

Jonathon,
	If people are busting the a**es and getting bad feelings when they
don't get recognition, then you must evaluate their motives in why they
are busting themselves.  When I bust my ass, whether teaching a class,
autocratting an event, or wading thru the piles of seneschal minutia, I
do it because I really do enjoy it, not because I think I will get
recognition.  While I don't deny that I have high aspirations and goals,
that one day I would like to have all kinds of danglies, I DON'T do
things to get danglies.  I do them because I like to.   I could have
been forever happy in the SCA as "little lord Terafan" because I enjoy
all the other things, including the people who I would not have met any
other way.

				Terafan

Master Terafan Greydragon		barclayp@lee-dns1.army.mil
Brewer, Fighter, Brewer, Autocrat, Brewer, etc.
Barony of Caer Mear