Escorting Ladies into Court

Poster: John Strauss <jstrauss@gmu.edu>

	I, too, am ambivalent about the whole notion of escorting ladies
into court. I have no illusions that ladies are so scatterbrained that
they cannot find the thrones, which are after all the very focus of the
room. But I also know full well that ladies can generally open doors
themselves, and yet I tend to open doors for ladies.

	When I think back to various times I have escorted ladies into
court, I find three instances:

	1) When called into court as a member of an order, I often find
myself walking alongside a lady who happens to be going the same
direction. Startling coincidence, that. It feels like a very natural
thing to offer her my arm, so I do. I bet no one else in the hall
consciously notices the interaction.

	2) When Mistress Nicole and I were together, I recall that she
disliked being escorted into court, more often than not. But we evolved a
pattern where I escorted her anyway. We observed that if she tried to go
up solo, someone _else_ would impose an escort on her. This caused people
to look at me like I was some sort of uncultured boor, that my lady could
not depend on me for such things and had to get help from whoever was
nearby. We couldn't find a gracious way to get what Nicole wanted; so we
conformed, albiet grudgingly.

	3) I remember when Susanna Grey got her AoA. I knew it was coming
and contrived to sit near Susie. When she was called forward, I escorted
her. Why on earth did I feel the need to escort an extremely talented and
intelligent lady who could kick my ass any time she pleased? It was
strictly an emotional decision. I love Susie, have for years. I wanted the
opportunity to express my affection and respect and my profound pride at
her success. Did I take any percent of her spotlight? Nah. If you have met
both me and Lady Susanna, you know that no one noticed _me_ as we walked
forward. I remember that when I offerred my arm as escort, Susie smiled
and blushed, and yet, she needed an escort about as much as Xena would.

And so I would have to say "it depends". What we actually need, I think,
is a convention whereby a lady (or gentleman. one never knows) can
graciously accept or graciously decline an escort offer.

Regarding the related issue of escorting ladies through the Dangerous
Streets of Pennsic<tm>. I have this recurring wish to be at a Pennsic
gathering with Sir Fern. I would wait until she was leaving, then ask if I
could escort her, as I was afraid to walk the streets alone and desired
protection. I would explain that I would understand if she refused; but
that I would sure feel safer with her around....

In a real live unarmed fight, for keepsies, I would bet on Fern over any
randomly selected duke.

-henry

      John Strauss             |    if mail bounces, try
      jstrauss@gmu.edu         |    jstrauss@poboxes.com