Re: boring court? (was re: escorting ladies)

Poster: "Scott Dean" <nacspsd@acs2.acs.ncsu.edu>

> Poster: Bryn Watkins <bryn@tibinc.com>
>

> This brings to the forefront a question I've had for years- Do people REALLY
> hate court as much as this?  And if so, WHY?  I love court.

I can think of a couple of things that can make Court boring:

1)Not being able to hear what is going on (whether is because the
principals are too quiet, the room is too live, there is too much
background noise, or your neighbors are too noisy).  I remember one
of the first courts I attended was 12th Night when Steffan and Twila
(sp?) were on the throne.  The combination of a quiet person on the
throne, a live room, and a large crowd made it VERY difficult to know
or understand what was happening.  Being able to hear/see the by-play
and side comments is one of the best parts of court.

2) Not knowing the people involved.  Lets face it, it's a lot more
interesting if you know the folk being called into court.  This would
tend to make courts held in your local area more interesting.  Note
that there is a learning curve here.  Going to courts outside your
local area means that you start to get to know people from other
areas and therefore will tend to make courts in general more
interesting over time.

3) Being physically uncomfortable.  If it is too hot, too cold, or
you have to go to the bathroom can make court unpleasant.

Of these, I think that #1 is the most relevant so I try to stake out
a good spot for court if I can.
-- Manus MacDhai
   Kappellenberg/Windmasters' Hill

mka