Re: Smoking on the field (fwd)

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Phillip Jones wrote:

> Shall I make a motion to TRM to delete this law? I believe that it
> serves a useful purpose, for I have met several people who are
> terribly affected by smoke. Not who don't like it, but who suffer true
> physical distress. I'd prefer to see us all try to be more
> considerate. If you see someone being inconsiderate, then, simply say
> to them gently and politely that they may be annoying another. If they
> receive this news boorishly or poorly, then they are sauvage.

I need to say one thing here.  My lady does not subscribe to this list,
but I feel the need to speak for her because she is one of the people to
whom second hand smoke is an actual health hazard rather than an
annoyance.  Most of the time people are considerate of others with their
smaoke.  This is not always the case, though.  Usually she is too shy to
say anything and just moves somewhere else where the breathing is
easier.  Sometimes she asks me to mention something to the smoker on her
behalf.  I have never had a rude response from a smoker.  My point here
was just to reiterate Philips message about second hand smoke being a
health threat to some.  Case in point, my lady.  Anyone else out there
with a similar problem?  If Philip is considering bringing this law to
HRM for removal, we should let him know our opinions of it now.
BTW, Hi, Philip!
Aye,
Eogan