Re: Modern Personal Conveniences

Poster: steele@sprynet.com

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com> wrote:

>What we cannot effect in our garb, we can still teach about, and in doing
>so BE educational.  Cloths may help set the atmosphere of our Society,
>but a real Scadian is one who retains his/her virtues even out of garb.

  To my dear friend Leifr Johansson, yes, what we teach about historical virtues
is important, but let us be honest. It is hard to see virtue and all too easy to
see garb. As I said in a previous post, I am far less concerned with the good
Duchess' obviously modern sneakers than with any number of good gentles' obvious
to the minimally interested eye's blend of fantasy and history.
  I confess, my field garb and esp. my Pennsic garb, shows little attempt at
anything more than a T-tunic style. I wear it because it is convenient, fits my
sewing skill and budget, and is machine washable. If/when I get some spare time,
fabric, and cash, it will be upgraded to something that could pass more easily
for say 11C wealthy peasant garb (and is still machine washable!).
  My concern is the folks, often newcomers, who can't tell the difference
between conveient, fantasy, and historical, get them all confused, and then are
adamant that what they saw at some fight-n-feast IS historical despite any
efforts to explain otherwise.
  --Esclarmonde